Municipal officials say Sable Wind running at full capacity
Monday, 27 April 2015 09:44
The warden of the Municipality of the District of Guysborough says Sable Wind has been very beneficial to the area so far.
The wind energy project near Canso cost between $27 million and $30 million; the municipality has a majority stake- 51 per cent- while Nova Scotia Power owns the other 49 per cent.
Vernon Pitts, the warden of the municipality, says the last of six turbines came online Wednesday.
Pitts tells The Hawk the project has benefitted the municipality since construction got underway.
"There was quite a work force down there at times," he says. "A vast majority of those employed on site were from Canso and area, which was good; they purchased a lot of goods and services."
Pitts says the 2.3 megawatt turbines have already been generating significant power since December, when the turbines started coming online, although the contract didn't officially start until April 22.
He says municipal officials had some money in their reserves, and decided to invest in green energy.
Pitts says it will be a wise investment.
"We also have to look at it like a strategic investment," he says. "This is going to reap benefits for all our residents for the next 20 years."
Pitts says they'll use the money they earn from Sable Wind to provide more goods and services to residents.
Two local MPs share differing opinions on federal budget's impact in our region
Friday, 24 April 2015 16:45
The Member of Parliament for Cape Breton-Canso says the latest federal budget is more sizzle than steak.
Finance Minister, Joe Oliver, delivered the 2015/16 federal budget in the House of Commons this week.
Liberal MP Rodger Cuzner says there are some positives, including extending EI benefits for compassionate care.
Cuzner tells The Hawk there's not a lot in the budget for our region.
"The word Atlantic didn't even appear in the budget, (so there's nothing about regional economic development)," he says. "I think they really missed an opportunity here with tourism."
Central Nova MP and federal Justice Minister, Peter MacKay, says there are several aspects that will benefit the region.
Mackay tells The Hawk the budget includes record-high equalization funding for our province.
"That money is going up, not being cut as it was under the previous government," he says. "So this good news for our province, we balanced the budget without slashing those transfer payments as did the previous government, (and our province in particular stands) to gain from those investments."
MacKay also says the extension of EI benefits for compassionate care is one budget highlight especially relevant in a province with an aging population like ours.
But Cuzner says the Conservatives are rolling the dice by reducing the federal contingency fund from $3 billion to $1 billion in order to balance the budget.
He says he's not sure we could have responded to previous events like SARS and mad cow without that money.